Assessment of Knowledge, Attitude and Practice towards CPR among Nurses Working in Wolaita Sodo University Teaching Hospital Wolaita Sodo, Southern Ethiopia, 2017

International Journal of Biotech Trends and Technology (IJBTT)
© 2019 by IJBTT Journal
Volume - 9 Issue - 3                         
Year of Publication : 2019
Authors : MasreshaAssefaDemissie, Tilahun Saol


MLA Style:MasreshaAssefaDemissie, Tilahun Saol "Assessment of Knowledge, Attitude and Practice towards CPR among Nurses Working in Wolaita Sodo University Teaching Hospital Wolaita Sodo, Southern Ethiopia, 2017" International Journal of Biotech Trends and Technology 9.2 (2019): 6-11.

APA Style:MasreshaAssefaDemissie, Tilahun Saol(2019). Assessment of Knowledge, Attitude and Practice towards CPR among Nurses Working in Wolaita Sodo University Teaching Hospital Wolaita Sodo, Southern Ethiopia, 2017. International Journal of Biotech Trends and Technology, 9(2), 6-11.


Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is the restoration of cardiac output and pulmonary ventilation following cardiac arrest and apnea by using artificial respiration and manual closed chest compressions or open cardiac massage. Worldwide, there are greater than 17.5 million cardio vascular deaths each year, and the prevalence of coronary heart disease is increasing. Thus the assistance provided by the health care team requires speed, efficiency, scientific knowledge and technical skills to perform the needed procedure.The aim of this study was to assess knowledge, attitude and practice towards cardiopulmonary resuscitation among nurses working in Wolaita Sodo teaching hospital, Southern Ethiopia.A descriptive cross sectional study designed was used. Self-administered structured questionnaire conducted among a total 98 nurses working in Wolaita sodo teaching hospital by using Simple random sample (lottery method) technics. Data was collected from April 01, 2017 to April 30, 2017. Supervision had done on daily basis. The Data were first checked manually for completeness and then coded and entered in to EpiData version 3.1. The entered data were transferred to SPSS version 20. The data were cleaned by visualizing, calculating frequencies and sorting. Frequencies and proportions were computed for description of the study population. Among 98 participants 55 (56%) are BSc nurse and the rest 43 (44%) are diploma nurse. of all participants 44 (44.9%) those who have training and the rest 54(55.1%) are not trained on CPR. The untrained participants have scored poorly as compared to trained participants in theoretical knowledge and practice of CPR And Most of the participants of both trained and untrained group were having very good attitude towards CPR. Knowledge and practice skills of CPR were not adequate in participants. A significant Portion of trainees do not acquire adequate knowledge in a single session of training. An organized curriculum for BLS and its protocolized training is the need of the hour in medical education.


[1] Williams & Wilkins. Stedman’s concise medical and Allied Heath Dictionary, 1997, 199:760.
[2] and Reuben in the late 1950’s )
[3] Ahern Rm, Lozano R, Naghavi m, foreman k, Gakidou E, Murray Cj. Improving the public health utility of global cardiovascular mortality data the rise of ischemic heart disease. Popup Health Metr. 2011,9:8
[4] American Heart Association –Guidelines for cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care ,2005
[5] Berdowiski J, Berg RA, Ijssel JG, KosterRW. Global incidence of out of-hospital cardiac arrest and survival rates: systematic review of 67 prospective studies. Resuscitation. 2010,81:1479-1487.
[6] Campanpapelodiamundial de cardiogia, sociedadeBrasileira de cardio logia cited 2011 Aug 25.[Sao Paulo]: SociedadeBrasileriade Cardio logia; c2011[cited 2011 aug 25]. Available from;
[7] American Heart Association Statistics committee and stork Statistics subcommittee Heart disease and stroke Statistics -2013 up data: a report from the America heart association [published correlation appearsinCirculation.2013:127:doi:10.1161/CIR.0b013e31828124ad] circulation. 2013:127:e6-e245.
[8] World health organizationreport (WHO 2009:2)
[9] Merchant RM, yang L, Becker LB, Berg RA, Nadkarni V< Nichol G, Carr BG, Metra N< Bradley SM, Abella BS, Groeneveled PW, American Heart Association Get With THE Guidelines-Resuscitation Investigators.Incidence of treated cardiac arrest in hospitalized patients in the United States. Critical care med. 2011, 39:2401-2406
[10] (http://www.heart , org/HEARTORG/CPR AND ECC/What is CPR/CPR facts and stats/history –of-CPR –UCN-307549-Article,jsp .)
[11] ReutterG,Wolfe RA, Goldstein S, Landis JR,vasuCM,Acheson A, et al. the effect of bystander CPR survival of out of hospital cardiac arrest victims . Am heart J 1985, 110:932-937
[12] Wenzel V, Lehmkuhl P, Kubilis PS, Indris’ AH, PichlmayrI.Poor correlation of mouth-to mouth ventilation skills after BLS training and 6 Month later. Resuscitation 19997, 35:129-134.
[13] Wik L, Steen PA, Bircher NG .Quality of bystander cardiopulmonary resuscitation influence out com after pre hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation 1994, 28:195-203.
[14] Gwinnutt C, Columb M, Harris R. out com after cardiac arrest in adults in UK hospitals: effect of 1997 guidelines 2000, 47:125-135.
[15] Copper C, Johnston E, and Prescott D. immediate life support training. Impact in primary care setting? Resuscitation2007, 72:92-99.
[16] Cardio pulmonary resuscitation: statement by the Ad Hoc committee on cardio pulmonary resuscitation of the division of medical science, national academy of sciences, national research council. Cardio pulmonary resuscitation JAMA 1966, 198:372-379.
[17] Republic of Botswana yearly report 2008 a:9
[18] http://wiredspace.wits, 3 Godkin and toth (1994:22)
[19] Hamilton R. Nurses Knowledge and skills following cardio-pulmonary resuscitation training: a review of the literature. J Adv Nurse. 2005; 51(3):288-97)
[20] Soo-II O, Sang-Sook H. A study on the sustainable effect of reeducation on CPR on nurses’ knowledge and skill. J Korean Acad Nurs.2008; 38(3):383-392.
[21] Preusch MR, Bea F, Roggenbach J, katus HA, Junger J Nikedei C. resuscitation Guideline 2005: do nursing staffs need training and how effective is it? Am J Emerg Med. 2010, 28(4); 477-84)
[22] American heart Association Guide line for cardio pulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardio vascular care, 2005 a.
[23] (Worled J Emerg Med, Roshana et al vol 3, no 2, 2012 www.
[24] Cooper S, Johnston E,Priscott D. Immediate life support training .Impact in a primary care

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation, Knowledge, Attitude, practice, Assessment, WSU