Re-submitting Musa sapientum L. ssp. sylvestris for more phytochemical and pharmacological investigations
||International Journal of Biotech Trends and Technology (IJBTT)|
|© 2017 by IJBTT Journal|
|Volume - 7 Issue - 4
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Muhammad Torequl Islam|
Muhammad Torequl Islam "Re-submitting Musa sapientum L. ssp. sylvestris for more phytochemical and pharmacological investigations", International Journal of Biotech Trends and Technology (IJBTT), V7(4): 15-17 Oct - Dec 2017, Published by Seventh Sense Research Group.
A review is done on the phytochemical profile and biological effects of Musa sapientum L. ssp. sylvestris. The findings suggest that it contains a number of important phytochemicals, which may link with its promising pharmacological activities such as antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal, cytotoxic effects, anti-hemolytic effect, anti-hemagglutination. Extracts from various parts of this plant can be used to treat above-mentioned diseases/purposes, especially oxidative stress and its related diseases. More researches are highly appreciated to isolate and identify the active principles and their mechanisms of action of the biological activities.
1. Oliveira L, Freire CS, Silvestre AJ, Cordeiro N (2008) Lipophilic extracts from banana fruit residues: a source of valuable phytosterols. J Agric Food Chem 56:9520-9524.
2. Dixit P, Kumar V, Shukla R (2014) Therapeutic and Medicinal Effects of Different Parts of Musa sapientum. Int J Res 5:62-68.
3. Goel RK, Sairam K (2002) Anti-ulcer drugs from indigenous sources with emphasis on Musa sapientum, tamrahbasma, Asparagus racemosus and Zingiber officinale. Indian J Pharmacol 34:100-110.
4. Phuaklee P, Ruangnoo S, Itharat A (2012) Antiinflammatory and antioxidant activities of extracts from Musa sapientum peel. J Medl Assoc Thailand= Chotmaihet thangphaet 95:S142-6.
5. Dahham SS, Agha MT, Tabana YM, Majid AMSA (2015) Antioxidant Activities and Anticancer Screening of Extracts from Banana Fruit (Musa sapientum). Academic Journal of Cancer Research 8:28-34, 2015. doi: 10.5829/idosi.ajcr.2015.8.2.95162.
6. Dikshit P, Shukla K, Tyagi MK, Garg P, Gambhir JK, Shukla R (2012) Antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic effects of the stem of Musa sapientum Linn. in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Diabet 4:378-385.
7. Partha P, Hossain ABME (2007) Ethnobotanical investigation into the Mandi Ethnic Community in Bangladesh. Bangladesh J Plant Taxonomy 14:129-145.
8. Sahaa RK, Acharyaa S, Shovon SSH, Royb P (2013) Medicinal activities of the leaves of Musa sapientum var. sylvesteris in vitro. Asian Pac J Tropic Biomed 3:476-482. doi:10.1016/S2221-1691(13)60099-4.
9. Imam MZ, Akter S, Mazumder MEH, Rana MS (2011) Antioxidant activities of different parts of Musa sapientum L. ssp. sylvestris fruit. J Appl Pharmaceut Sci 2011;01;68-72.
10. Islam MT. Non-physiological antioxidants: How safe? Int J Med 5:41-44. doi: 10.14419/ijm.v5i1.7064.
11. Islam MT, Streck L, Alencar MVOB, Silva SWC, Machado KC, Machado KC, Júnior ALG, Paz MFCJ, Mata AMOF, Sousa JMC, Junior JSC, Rolim HML, Silva-Junior AA, Melo-Cavalcante AAC (2017) Evaluation of toxic, cytotoxic and genotoxic effects of phytol and its nanoemulsion. Chemosphere 177:93-101. doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2017.02.145.
12. Rajput JD, Bagul SD, Pete UD, Zade CM, Padhye SB, Bendre RS (2017) Perspectives on medicinal properties of natural phenolic monoterpenoids and their hybrids. Molecl Divers. doi: 10.1007/s11030-017-9787-y.
13. Zafar MI, Akter S, Mazumder MEH, Rana MS (2011) Antimicrobial and cytotoxic perperties of different extracts of Musa sapientum var. sylvesteris. Int Res J Pharm 2:62-65.
14. Kumar J, Teoh SL, Das S, Mahakknaukrauh P (2017) Oxidative Stress in Oral Diseases: Understanding Its Relation with Other Systemic Diseases. Front Physiol 8:693. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00693.
15. Salucci S, Burattini S, Buontempo F, Martelli AM, Falcieri E, Battistelli M (2017) Protective effect of different antioxidant agents in UVB-irradiated keratinocytes. Eur J Histochem 61:2784. doi: 10.4081/ejh.2017.2784.
16. Putchala MC, Ramani P, Sherlin HJ, Premkumar P, Natesan A (2013) Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity -- a systematic review. Arch Oral Biol 2013;58:563-74. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
ethnobiological; phytochemical; pharmacological activities.