Differential physiological response in root and leaf of mungbean [Vigna radiata (L) Wilczek] under salinity and drought stress
||International Journal of Biotech Trends and Technology (IJBTT)|
|© 2016 by IJBTT Journal|
|Volume - 6 Issue - 4
|Year of Publication : 2016|
|Authors : Deepen Tamang, S.Yadaw, A.K.Pal|
|DOI : 10.14445/22490183/IJBTT-V19P603|
Deepen Tamang, S.Yadaw, A.K.Pal "Differential physiological response in root and leaf of mungbean [Vigna radiata (L) Wilczek] under salinity and drought stress", International Journal of Biotech Trends and Technology (IJBTT), V6(4): 10-13 Oct - Dec 2016. Published by Seventh Sense Research Group.
An experiment was conducted in the laboratories of Plant Physiology, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya of West Bengal, to study the contrasting physiological and biochemical response of root and leaf of mungbean under drought and salinity stress at early seedling growth stage. The drought and salinity stress was imposed using a solutions of 12% polyethylene glycol 6000 (PEG 6000) and 100 mM of NaCl, respectively. It was found that the seedling growth was not up to the mark and had more detrimental effect under salinity stress condition as compared to drought stress condition. The leaf showed much higher (368.892 µ mol g-1) accumulation of osmolytes as compared to root (124.923 µ mol g-1) under both stress treatments. However, the drought stress showed higher activities of ROS scavenging enzymes such as GPOX (118.400 ?A470 min-1 g -1) and catalase (236.876 µmol H2O2 min-1 g -1) in root than salinity, however SOD (28.970 Unit min-1 g -1) activity higher in leaf. So, the salinity stress was found to be more detrimental than drought stress in causing inhibition of growth of embryonic axis and the emerging seedling in the present experiment.
1. Abedi T, Pakniyat H (2010). Antioxidant enzyme changes in response to drought stress in ten cultivars of oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). Czech J Gen Plant Breed 46: 27- 34.
2. Arulbalachandran DK, Sankar G, Subramani A (2009). Changes in Metabolites and Antioxidant Enzyme Activity of Three Vigna Species Induced by NaCl Stress. A Eurasian J Agron 2: 109-116.
3. Cavalcanti FR., Lima J.P.M.S., Ferreira- Silva SL., Viegas RA and Silveira JAG (2007). Roots and leaves display contrasting oxidative response during salt stress and recovery in cowpea. J Plant Physio 164:591-600.
4. Dogan, M (2012).Investigation of the effect of salt stress on the antioxidant enzyme activities on the young and old leaves of salsola (Stenoptera) and tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum L.). Afr J Plant Sc 6:62-72.
5. Dutta P, Bera AK (2007). Germination and seedling development of two contrasting mungbean cultivars under simulated moisture stress conditions. J Food Legume 20: 169- 172.
6. Dutta P, Bera AK (2014). Effect of Nacl salinity on seed germination and seedling growth of mungbean cultivars. Legume Res 37 (2): 161 - 164.
7. Gapinska M, Sklodowska M, Gabara B (2008). Effect of short and long term salinity on the activities of antioxidative enzymes and lipid peroxidation in tomato roots. Acta Physio Plant 30: 11¬18.
8. Gomathi R and Rakkiyapan P (2011). Comparative lipid peroxidation, leaf membrane thermostability, and antioxidant system in four sugarcane genotypes differing in salt tolerance. Int J Plant Physio Biochem 3: 67- 74.
9. Harb AM (2013). Reserve mobilization, total sugars and proteins in germinating seeds of durum wheat (Triticum durum Desf.) under water deficit after short period of imbibition. Jordan J Bio Sci 6: 67-71.
10. Jamil M, Lee CC, Rehman SU, Lee DB, Ashraf M, Rha S (2005). Salinity (NaCl) tolerance of brassica species at germination and early seedling growth. Electronic J Environ Agric Food Chem: 1579–4377.
11. Khan UHM , IMalook J, Atlas A , Jan M, Ullah Jan S,, Shah G (2014).The Effect of Sodium Chloride (NaCl) stress on Seed germination and Seedling Growth of Rice (Oryza Sativa L.). J Bio Sci (JBMS) 2:100-107.
12. Khodarahmpour Z. (2011). Effect of drought stress induced by polyethylene glycol (PEG) on germination indices in corn (Zea mays L.) hybrids. Afri J Biotech 10: 18222-18227.
13. Meenakshi A, Shashi SD, Kanupriya S K,, Sunder SA (2015). Effect of salinity on plant water status, solute accumulation and ionic distribution in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) genotypes. Int J Res 2: 2348- ¬6848.
14. Moussa HR, Abdel-Aziz SM (2008). Comparative response of drought tolerant and drought sensitive maize genotypes to water stress. Aust J Crop Sci 1 : 31- 36.
15. Padder B M , Yadav R,, Agarwal RM (2012). Effect of salinity and water stress in mungbean (Vigna radiata) L. Wilczek Var. Hum_1. Plant Sc Feed 2 (9): 130-134.
16. Shahid MA, Balal RM, Pervez MA, Abbas T, Ashfaq M, Ghazanfar U, Afzal M, Rashid A, Garcia- Sanchez F and Mattson NS (2012). Differential response of pea (Pisum sativum L.) genotypes to salt stress in relation to the growth, physiological attributes antioxidant activity and organic solutes. Aus J Crop Sc 6: 828- 838.
17. Sharifi P, Amirnia R , Majidi E, Hadi H , Roustaii M, Nakhoda B, Alipoor HM,, Moradi F (2012). Relationship between drought stress and some antioxidant enzymes with cell membrane and chlorophyll stability in wheat lines. Afri J Microbio Res 6: 617- 623.
18. Simova-Stoilova L, Vaseva I, Grigorova B, Demirevsk K, Feller U (2010). Proteolytic activity and cysteine protease expression in wheat leaves under severe soil drought and recovery. Plant Physio Biochem 48:200-206.
19. Singh M, Chauhan JS, kumar A, Singh NB (2003). Nitrogen assimilatory enzymes, chlorophyll content and yield as influenced by drought stress in Indian mustard (B. Juncea L.). Brassica 5: 42- 47.
20. Sneha S., Rishi A., Dadhich A and Chandra S (2013). Effect of salinity on seed germination, accumulation of proline and free amino acid in Pennisetum glaucum (L.).J bio sci 16: 877-881.
21. Srivastava, A.K., Bhargava, P. and Rai, L.C. (2005). Salinity and copper-induced oxidative damage and changes in antioxidative defense system of Anabaena doliolum. World J Microbio Biotech 22:1291- 1298.
22. Sumithra K, Jutur PP, Carmel BD, Reddy AR (2006). Salinity induced changes in two cultivars of Vigna radiata: responses on antioxidative and proline metabolism. Plant Growth Regul 50:11- 22.
23. Uddin S, Parvin S, Awal MA (2013). Morpho-Physiological Aspects Of Mungbean (Vigna Radiata L.) in Response to Water Stress. Int J Agri Sci Res 3: 137-148.
24. Wang M, Zhang CY, Ma TF, Yao, WC (2004). Studies of drought tolerance of soyabean cultivars at their seedling.Chinese Crop Sci 26: 29-32.
Drought, Mungbean, Nacl, Polyethylene Glycol, Salinity.